Dry eyes are more common than you may think. In the U.S. alone, about 4.88 million people suffer from dry eyes. While this condition is more prevalent among women than men, dry eyes can affect anyone. If you have dry eyes in Akron, you can get help at OIC Integrative Optometry.
Why are Dry Eyes?
Dry eyes is a chronic condition that affects the lubrication of the eyes. Proper lubrication in the eyes is necessary for comfort, vision, and health. When the systems that provide lubrication in the eyes are not functioning properly, the condition known as dry eyes occurs.
What Are the Symptoms of Dry Eyes?
Being aware of the symptoms of dry eyes will help you to seek treatment when it’s necessary. Common symptoms include:
- Chronic redness of the eyes
- Irritated eyes
- Sensation of having sand in the eyes or on the inside of eyelids
- Diminished vision
- Inability to cry when appropriate
- Inability to comfortably wear contact lenses
Causes of Dry Eyes
There are many possible causes of dry eyes, which is why self-diagnosis is not recommended. If you have one or more of the symptoms listed above, contact OIC Integrative Optometry for dry eye services in Akron. The following are some potential causes of dry eyes:
- A side effect of prescription medication
- Physical abnormality in the eye(s)
- Blockage of tear ducts
- Presence of certain diseases such as diabetes, herpes, lupus, etc.
- A side effect of laser surgery
- Overuse of antihistamines
- Alcohol abuse
- Chronic exposure to smoke or air pollution
Treatments For Dry Eyes in Akron
Your optometrist will be able to diagnose your dry eyes condition if it is present. The doctor will also be able to help pinpoint the cause of your dry eyes. Once the cause is determined, a variety of treatment options are available. These include:
- Cessation of certain lifestyle behaviors
- Cessation of certain medications
- Corrective Surgery
- Prescription eye drops
- Alternative corrective eyewear
- Transition to new working/living environment
- Ongoing support for those with disease-related dry eyes
One thing you can be sure of is that you will receive support for your dry eyes in Akron at OIC Integrative Optometry. We have helped many patients either solve their dry eyes problem entirely or have a significant reduction in their level of discomfort and inconvenience due to dry eyes. If you have any of the symptoms listed above, please contact us for an appointment and to learn about your treatment options.